The Desantis Community Room is meant as a space for people to gather and share! If you’d like to use the room, you should print and fill out a copy of the application. You must drop the form off at Monson Free Library, then the Library Director will review your application and let you know if you have been approved.
Below you’ll find a copy of our community room policy. PLEASE READ CAREFULLY as there are some events the community room is not available for:
DeSantis Community Room Rules and Regulations
Statement of Purpose
It is the aim of the Monson Free Library and Reading Room Association to have the DeSantis Community Room (DCR) available for community groups, organizations, for profit organizations and individuals, agencies whose intent and purpose is that of providing educational, cultural, intellectual, or charitable activities subject to the rules and regulations established by the Monson Free Library Board of Directors. The use of the DCR does not constitute an endorsement of an organization’s policies or beliefs.
1. Request for the use of the DCR shall be made at least two weeks in advance of the scheduled activity and will be approved on a first-come first-serve basis.
2. A completed application form must be submitted to the Library Director by an adult who shall be personally responsible for the conduct of the meeting and the adherence to these rules and regulations.
3. The Monson Free Library Board of Directors and/or Library Director reserves the right to restrict use of the meeting room if the anticipated meeting is likely to be unreasonably disruptive to regular library functions, too large for applicable room capacity, disorderly, dangerous to persons or property, or in any other way inconsistent with or in contravention of any of the terms and conditions of this policy. In determining whether such a likelihood exists, the Monson Free Library Board of Directors and/or Library Director may take into consideration the contents of the application form, the history of the group’s meeting room use in the library, the history of the group’s use of meeting facilities elsewhere, and other such information as they may deem appropriate
4. Applicant is expected to adhere to the stated purpose of the meeting and to conduct the meeting accordingly.
5. All announcements, press releases, flyers, and/or media advertising must clearly state that the meeting is not sponsored or endorsed by the Monson Free Library and Reading Room Association. The Monson Free Library and Reading Room Association cannot be designated as the official address of any group not specifically connected to the library. Request for permission to display exhibits or bulletin board notices will be similarly treated.
6. No printed materials may be distributed on library property without prior permission of the Library Director.
1. DCR is available for use as specified in the statement of purpose. Private social functions (showers, birthdays etc.) and political campaigning are not allowed.
2. Availability of the DCR will be limited to published open hours.
1. The Monson Free Library and Reading Room Association, represented by its Board of Directors and staff, does not assume any liability for groups or individuals attending a meeting in the DCR.
2. All groups will agree to hold the Monson Free Library harmless from any loss of personal property used or exhibited, or for any equipment, supplies, materials, clothing or other items brought to the library or transported to the library property by any group or individual attending the meeting.
3. Organizations or individuals using library property must assume responsibility for any accidents or damages which may occur to the building, grounds, or equipment which is made available to them and must pay for all necessary repairs or replacements made as a result of damages.
4. Monson Free Library and Reading Room Association will not be responsible for injury to persons or property while the building or grounds are used by any group or individual.
Rules For Use
1. All events in the DCR must conclude, and the room be cleaned and cleared, one half hour before the Library’s closing time.
2. No materials may be affixed (tape, tacks, nails, etc.) to doors, walls, furnishings, windows, etc. either within the Horatio Lyon building, the library wing, or on the exterior of the building.
3. Smoking, including e-cigarettes, is not permitted in public buildings or grounds in accordance with state law.
4. Alcoholic beverages may not be dispensed or consumed in any part of the library or on library property.
5. No open flames (candles, incense etc.) are permitted.
7. Refreshments may be served in connection with a meeting, but organizations are required to provide their own utensils, paper goods, food & condiments. A refrigerator is available. No items are to be left in the refrigerator. Kitchen rules are posted therein. The kitchen must be cleaned up immediately after the meeting has ended and trash emptied and taken to the dumpster.
o Educational, community organizations, Friends of Library No Fee
o Event with admission charged or fund-raiser
Community/Non-profit group/individuals $25.00
o For Profit Organizations $100.00
These rules and regulations are in accordance with the American Library Association Intellectual Freedom Handbook, 1993 and were duly accepted by the Board of Directors of the Monson Free Library and Reading Room Association, on February 10, 1998. Revised: 08/11/03, 03/29/04, 07/11/05, 03/28/07, 01/08/18